Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Recipe: Orange and Almond Cake (flourless and gluten free)

This is a very easy cake!!  And delicious!!!
The citrus season is in full swing, so when my daughter asked me to make a gluten free cake for a party I knew what it was to be - but where was the recipe?  I wanted to use Claudia Roden's orange cake from her fabulous Middle Eastern Cookbook, but whom had I lent it to?  I just had to 'fudge it'.

So here we have the 'accidental orange and nut cake' and, I must say, it was actually better than the original which can be a little dense - that's the way cooking goes. I will definitely be cooking it again.

2 large navel oranges (because they have no pips!)
5 eggs
1 1/4 cups soft brown organic sugar (you can use caster)
2 1/2 cups ground almonds (I used a half half mixture of almond and hazelnut which worked well)
1 tsp baking powder
Heat oven to 170oC
1.  Place oranges in saucepan, cover with water and boil for one hour.  Remove from water and cool.
2.  In a food processor beat eggs and sugar until pale and creamy.
3.  Add nut-meal and baking powder.
4.  Add cool and chopped oranges and whiz until a smooth consistency.
5.  Place in a lined and buttered spring-form pan and bake for approximately one hour.  Let it cool in the pan before removing to cooling tray.
The only piece left!

No comments: